Marble Loaf Cake Recipe
If you are a regular reader of the blog, you must be aware about my love for chocolate cakes and tea-time cakes. This Marble Loaf Cake Recipe is one of my favorite coffee cake recipes. Cakes like these double up as breakfast cakes and also as dessert. For me a slice of this cake and a big cup of coffee count as a blissful pleasure of life. I am sure you agree :). I often dream of opening a small cafe in the mountains, serving good coffee and cake.
Coming back from the mountains:P. This Marble Loaf Cake Recipe yields a buttery soft cake. And the chocolate batter swirled in between the vanilla batter ensures that you get a decadent slice of goodness. The crumb is so moist and tender that it just melts in your mouth. And you get to enjoy the best of both worlds.
This is a popular cake and you often find it at High-tea’s and coffee shops. This Marble Loaf Cake Recipe guides you to make this delicious cake in your kitchen. I have done a pretty marble ganache over the loaf to add to it’s beauty! I love the swirling part of the recipe. It creates such a wonderful effect! Each time you bake this cake, you will be able to admire a different pattern of the swirl in the baked loaf.
Marble Loaf Cake Recipe
- ½ cups unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla essence
- 1 ¾ cups All purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cups buttermilk at room temperature
- ¼ cups + 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon boiling water
- Preheat oven to 180°C or 350°F and lightly grease a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt. Keep aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Mix in the vanilla. Whisk in the buttermilk slowly until combined.
- Sift in the flour mixture slowly and fold until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix the cocoa powder with ¼ cups and 1 tablespoon of boiling water. Cool.
- Scoop ⅓ of the cake batter into a smaller bowl and add in the cocoa mixture in it, mix until no visible streaks remain.
- To assemble the cake- Layer the vanilla batter in the prepared pan, alternating with the cocoa batter until finished with both the batters. Using a knife, swirl both the batters together. I usually make the “S” shape a couple of times.
- Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Let cool on the wire rack before inverting on a plate.
- Cool and cut in thick slices for serving!
I did a pretty marble ganache on top of the loaf. It’s purely optional. I dropped spoonfuls of nutella in between a white chocolate ganache.
Isn’t it such a fun and beautiful cake. The Marble Loaf Cake Recipe is simple to follow and make. This homemade tea-time cake makes for a lovely companion with your cuppa! The Almond Loaf Cake, Peek-a-boo cake and Snickerdoodle Bread are other popular loaf cakes on the blog!