Hot Fudge Sundae Cupcakes
Before you start drooling over adorable pictures of these Hot Fudge Sundae Cupcakes, lemme ask you about your favourite childhood food memories. My mind immediately wanders back to those days when we indulged in hot chocolate fudge sundaes at “Nirulas”. I can’t tell you how glad I used to be, when I was told that we would be going to Nirulas for dinner and ice cream. Back then, Nirulas was the most popular fast food joint and the only place famous for Ice creams. And going there was one big treat!
Summers in India are really long and hot and there is nothing better than an Ice cream to comfort you. These Hot Fudge Sundae Cupcakes take me back to that era when things were simpler and an Ice cream sundae was all you needed to be happy and crazy, just like a puppy :).
You know what makes these Hot fudge Sundae cupcakes irresistible-
A moist dark chocolate cupcake topped with dark chocolate ganache and then swirls of creamy fluffy mascarpone whipped cream. Also, followed by a drizzle of chocolate sauce and generous topping of roasted nuts and sprinkles!!
Aren’t these Hot Fudge Sundae Cupcakes gorgeous and droolworthy!!
I managed 10 cupcakes out of this recipe and only one belonged to me. Can’t tell you, how much I enjoyed eating mine. I ate it sitting all by myself, smiling away, thoroughly satisfied at my genius idea of making them :D.
Hot Fudge Sundae Cupcakes
Ingredients for Chocolate Cupcakes
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp. Baking soda
- ¾ tsp. Baking powder
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 2 large room temp. Eggs
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 2 tsp. Vanilla essence
- ½ cup buttermilk
Ingredients for Chocolate Ganache and toppings
- 300 gms chopped dark chocolate
- 300 gms cream
- ¼ cup chopped roasted mixed nuts
- Colorful sprinkles
Ingredients for Mascarpone Whipped cream frosting
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- ½ cup icing sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- ½ tsp. Vanilla extract
Directions for Chocolate Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners. This recipe will make about 10 cupcakes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs, sugars, oil and vanilla together until completely smooth.
- Pour half of the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Then half of the buttermilk. Gently stir. Repeat with the remaining wet ingredients and buttermilk. Stir until just combined.
- Spoon the batter only halfway into the liners. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Once cool, top each cupcake with lots of chocolate ganache. Cool for a few minutes in the refrigerator and then pipe swirls of mascarpone whipped cream over the ganache. Drizzle each with chocolate sauce and generous topping of nuts and sprinkles.
Directions for Chocolate Ganache
- Pour the cream into a saucepan and place over medium low heat for a few minutes. Once the cream is nice hot(boiling not necessary) pour it over finely chopped chocolate.
- Let it sit for a few minutes to soften and melt the chocolate. Stir the mixture with a spatula until it comes together into a creamy mass.
- Cool the ganache before using.
- You can add a little milk to this ganache before using it as chocolate sauce for the drizzle or you can use store-bought chocolate sauce as well.
Directions for Mascarpone whipped cream
- Place the mascarpone in a medium mixing bowl and start beating with a hand mixer.
- While beating, add the vanilla essence and icing sugar.
- Slowly add the whipping cream while still beating until the icing becomes light and fluffy.
It’s such a fun dessert to make and eat :D. I bet you are going to love this recipe and it will go down in your list of favourite recipes:).